All Monterey County residents have access to the resources they need to become literate and contribute to the well-being and vitality of our community.
The Literacy Campaign for Monterey County champions the power of literacy to transform lives.
VALUES and BELIEFS
We believe . . .
- Literacy is the key to a healthy, prosperous life.
- Literacy enhances the overall health and well being of our entire community.
- Access to literacy resources is a basic civil and cultural right.
- Improved literacy levels will enhance the quality and strength of our workforce.
- Strong collaborative partnerships and a sustained effort are essential to bring literacy to all residents.
We value . . .
- Our richly diverse community and support literacy in a multilingual society.
- Parents and primary care givers as a child’s first teacher.
- Evidence based practices that are driven by measurable outcomes.
- Effective use of innovative technology.
Priority Focus for 2012-2015:
Improve the literacy levels of children birth through third grade, including increasing access to quality early learning experiences and supporting parent engagement with their child’s early learning.